Monday 8 January 2018

True Love

Hello Friends!
Karolina is here today with a beautiful new artwork that is practical and poetic at the same time. :)
You can follow her lead and use these clever techniques for any kind of project but I think this particular idea might come in handy for Valentine's Day next month! (hint hint) ;)
Please enjoy this new inspiration from my talented Creative Team!

*   *   *   *
Perhaps you remember my last year's post about my efforts to get my studio organized. Today I have for you another idea to make your art space look unique and more orderly. :)
It's an altered wooden organizer in which you can store all sorts of handy tools and trinkets.
I decorated it using a transfer technique - I think the texture of wood makes transfers look especially beautiful.
First I prepped the surface of my box with White Gesso and Snow White Impasto Paint.

After drying the background, it's time for the most crucial step: apply a single layer of gel medium to the entire surface of the wood. Not too thin but not thick either. If it's too thick, the paper will be hard to rub off.

Then I simply glued on my photo - important notice: glue your chosen image face down!
I did it with 3D Matte Gel as I think that this gel medium is ideal for transfers.
Make sure your your photo is printed on a laser jet print otherwise the transfer won't work!

Now you need to smooth the surface. You can use your fingers for this, a palette knife, a ruler - just make sure the image is evenly glued to the surface, without any air bubbles. 
You will see the whole process step by step in my video below.

Once the photo is glued and dried, spray it generously with water and simply rubbing it with your fingers, remove paper from the wood to reveal the print. You will see the beautiful transfer emerge. :)

To secure the image, I applied one more layer of gel medium. Thanks to this my photo will be safe and I will always be able to remove any unwanted paint or ink splashes from it.
I also gently swiped the photo with White Gesso to make it blend in with the background.

To make my background more varied, I added accents of Sparks Raven Black paint through the Checker stencil and Modeling Paste through the Flourish stencil for some beautiful texture.

I painted my box with Impasto Paints. They provide perfect cover, have a lovely creamy consistency easily diluted with water and are permanent when dry.

When the color part of the work was ready, I added the amazing Art Extravagance White Crackle Paste - another favorite product of mine! I used Art Alchemy Sparks paint in Mermaid Sparkle to emphasize the crackles and Metallique Emerald Green for the details.

My embellishments here are IOD moulds, Mechanicals, Art Stones in different sizes and some Art Ingredients Glitter from the Ebony & Ivory set. 3D Matte Gel holds everything firmly in place.
I really love how my box turned out. I made it as a gift for a very special couple who decided to start a family.
What can be more beautiful than a union of two loving hearts? This little project is the expression of my belief in true love. :)
And now I'd like to invite you to watch my step by step video tutorial.
Feel free to leave any questions you might have and I'll be happy to answer.





Transfers are an easy and original way to capture moments and memories.

What's more, you can use this technique on all kinds of substrates - altered objects, wood, canvas, in your art journals, even on stones and fabric.

Don't be afraid to experiment, I'm sure you'll feel inspired and come up with your own new ideas!

Happy creating!
x
Karolina




Products used:

1 comment:

Helen said...

this is beautiful, Karolina, what a gorgeous box you've created.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...